Simple tips to help you rest easy
If you’re hiring a contractor to do work on your home, it is crucial to work with one that is both licensed and bonded. Working with unlicensed contractors can be risky for a variety of reasons. It’s a huge investment, after all! Licensed contractors, like those that are in the Duke Energy home improvement network, can work with you on energy savings and conservation in your home. Here are just a few reasons why hiring a licensed and bonded contractor is key.
- Help Stay Protected - Licensing rules and requirements are designed to protect consumers. This may help give you peace of mind because the contractor has been vetted to meet the requirements in your state.
- Crews You Can Trust - General contractors often work with and supervise subcontractors for different aspects of the job. If they are licensed and bonded, the contractor can legally hire subcontractors, whereas unlicensed contractors don’t typically have the legal capacity to assign these jobs to subcontractors. This means you won’t be getting the best experts to work on your home.
- Save Time - Working with a licensed contractor may help save you time. Licensed and bonded contractors are typically experienced with various project schedules, such as insulating your attic or sealing ducts. Duke Energy uses only licensed contractors on home repair and energy efficiency installation projects.
- Save Money - Working with a licensed contractor will often save you money in the long run. They know how to get the job done with just the right amount of time and materials, whether it’s HVAC installation or other energy conservation maintenance.
- Better Financing Options - Licensed contractors offer better construction loan terms and options from banks. Banks won’t work with unlicensed contractors, so you can be sure you are getting a fair and legitimate deal and also be able to rely on the paperwork when you go with a licensed company. Duke Energy can work with you to ensure that you get the best loan terms on your energy conservation upgrades.
- Easier Inspections - Home improvement projects may necessitate a lot of paperwork in regard to permits and inspections. Licensed contractors can handle this for you by obtaining the permit and scheduling a code official to come out to the home for an inspection of the work.
- Quality Improvements - You’ll also be able to benefit from fewer repairs and headaches down the road. Licensed contractors tend to do more efficient and skilled work so that improvements and additions require less maintenance during their lifetime.
Contractors who are part of the Duke Energy trusted network of service providers are industry-licensed professionals. They take pride in offering high-quality services and improving the overall customer experience.