Knowing the difference between transmission and distribution facilities will allow for engagement with the correct Duke Energy contact(s) for the success of your projects.

Helpful ways to identify various structures:

Transmission structures are typically made of wood, concrete or steel and are 60’ in height or greater. They can be in the form of a single pole (round or square), H-Frame (a two-pole structure connected by cross-arms) or metal lattice tower. These structures carry the high voltage lines that can be followed for miles from one electric substation to another, in rights-of-way made up of easements and/or land owned by Duke Energy. Transmission easements can be 25’ to 295’ wide or greater. A transmission structure will typically have an identifier on the pole in the form of letters and numbers, located at either eye level or at the top of the pole (for example, ANL-43). This line code and structure number is helpful information when making an inquiry.

Distribution structures are typically made of wood or concrete (square) and are 30’ to 40’ tall. Distribution poles are commonly the smaller poles seen along roads or property lines through subdivisions and connect directly to homes or businesses. Distribution easements are generally 25' wide or less and will usually be labeled as a distribution easement in the heading. A distribution pole will typically have a metal plate with a letter and numbers. This information, as well as an address, will be helpful when making an inquiry.

How to find Duke Energy structure numbers

All Duke Energy transmission structure numbers are located on the pole or on one of the legs of the towers. The numbers are usually located chest-high or at the top of the pole and have a letter and number designation. For example: ANL-67.

If the structures that you need relocated are distribution structures, please visit the Distribution Relocation Website.

Important Information